Call (313) 885-0900

Palace Schwetzingen


In 1350 a knightly water palace in Schwetzingen is documented. The owner von Schomberg made the palace available to the Pfalzgrafen Ruprecht. His successors subsequently purchased property and added a garden to the area which was later the point of origin for the large park. During the following centuries the palace was destroyed twice due to acts of war. In the time from 1698 until 1713 Kurfürst Johann Wilhelm ordered the rebuilding of the palace with two wings the 'Communs' surrounding a court of honor by Adam Breunig. Now the appearance was typical for a baroque palace complex. 1718 Kurfürst Karl Philipp ordered the redesigne of the garden and built the Orangerie. In 1742 Carl Theodor became Kurfürst. Under him the Palace Schwetzingen experienced its great splendor and was known as 'Versailles of the Palatinate'. The northern Circle Building replaced the Orangerie. The southern Circle Building was constructed. A garden complex based on the example of Versailles was created uniquely in Europe.

Among others Kaiser Joseph II., Voltaire, Friedrich Schiller and August Wilhelm Iffland have been guests at the Palace Schwetzingen. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart gave concerts there.



1350 wurde erstmals ein ritterliches Wasserschloss in Schwetzingen erwähnt. Der Besitzer von Schomburg stellte das Schloss dem Pfalzgrafen Ruprecht zur Verfügung. Seine Nachfolger erwarben in der Folgezeit Land und erweiterten das Areal um einen Garten, der später Ausgangspunkt des großen Parks wurde. In den folgenden Jahrhunderten wurde es zwei Mal aufgrund von Kriegen zerstört. In der Zeit von 1698 bis 1713 ließ Kurfürst Johann Wilhelm das Schloss mit zwei Flügelbauten (den "Communs" Wirtschaftgebäuden), die einen Ehrenhof umgaben, von Adam Breunig wieder aufbauen. Nun entsprach das Erscheinungsbild einem barocken Schloss Komplex. 1718 ließ Kurfürst Karl Philipp auch den Garten neu gestalteten und eine Orangerie bauen. 1742 wurde Carl Theodor Kurfürst. Unter ihm erlebte das Schloss Schwetzingen die Zeit seiner größten Blüte und war bekannt als "pfälzisches Versailles". Der nördliche Zirkelbau ersetzte die Orangerie. Der südliche Zirkelbau wurde erstellt. Ein Gartenkomplex wurde nach dem Vorbild von Versailles gestaltet, der einzigartig in Europa ist.

Gäste im Schloss Schwetzingen waren unter anderem Kaiser Joseph II., Voltaire, Friedrich Schiller und August Wilhelm Iffland. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart gab dort Konzerte.
Schloss Schwetzingen Germany

The Mosque
is not a replication of any Islamic building but a sign of the Turk mode of the 18th Century and a symbol of the eastern wisdom. From 1778 until 1791 it was build by Nicolas Pigage. The domed building with a high Tambour is flanked by two slim minarets. The court in the back is surrounded by open courses named as 'cloister' or 'prayer courses'. From time to time the court was used for open-air-performances.

Die Moschee
ist keine Nachbildung eines islamischen Gebäudes sondern Ausdruck der Türkenmode des 18. Jahrhunderts und ein Symbol der orientalischen Weisheit. Von 1778 bis 1791 wurde sie von Nicolas Pigage gebaut. Der Kuppelbau mit dem hohen Tambour wird von den beiden schlanken Minaretten flankiert. Der Hof auf der Rückseite ist umgeben von offenen Gängen bezeichnet als ‚Kreuzgang' oder ‚Gebetsgänge'. Gelegentlich wurde der Hof für Freilichtaufführungen genutzt.
Schloss Schwetzingen Germany

Circle Buildings
In 1750 the Orangerie was replaced by the northern Circle Building built by Alessandro Galli da Bibienas and Guillaume d'Haubert. A theater was added to it. 1754 the southern Circle Building was finalized. It was planned and built by Nicolas de Pigage. The Circle Buildings contained festival rooms which had no place in the palace. Both were designed to face the French baroque garden.

Zirkelbauten
1750 wurde die Orangerie durch den nördlichen Zirkelbau ersetzt, gebaut von Alessandro Galli da Bibienas und Guillaume d'Haubert. Ein Theater wurde angebaut. 1754 war der Bau des nordwestlichen Zirkelbaus abgeschlossen. Er wurde von Nicolas de Pigage geplant und gebaut. Die Zirkelbauten enthielten Festsäle, die im Schloss keinen Platz hatten. Beide wurden so konzipiert, daß sie auf den französischen Barockgarten blicken.
Schloss Schwetzingen Germany

Palace garden
The garden complex - divided in two parts - shows the intellectual history and trends from the Baroque to the Enlightenment to the Romantic period. It contains figures and temples of the Greek mythology. Lakes, Fountains, channels, cascades, trick fountains and ponds bring movement in the garden. The French baroque garden was laid out by the architect Nicolas de Pigage. It is symmetrical designed and has the Arion fountain in the center. The garden is divided in parterre, hedge zone and forest section. The circular parterre is surrounded by the Circle Buildings and the covered galleries. The landscape architect Friedrich Ludwig Sckell designed the English landscape garden surrounding the large pond and winding canals in planned naturalness.

Schlossgarten
Der Gartenkomplex - in zwei Bereiche aufgeteilt - zeigt die Geistesgeschichte und Moden von Barock über die Aufklärung bis hin zur Romantik. Er enthält Statuen und Tempel der griechischen Mythologie. Seen, Fontänen, Kanäle, Kaskaden, Wasserspiele und Teiche bringen Bewegung in den Garten. Der französische Barockgarten wurde von dem Architekten Nicolas de Pigage gestaltet. Er ist symmetrisch gestaltet mit dem Arion Brunnen im Zentrum. Der Garten ist aufgeteilt in Parterre, Heckenbereich und Waldteil. Das kreisförmige Paterre ist umgeben von den Zirkelbauten und den Laubengängen. Der Landschaftsarchitekt Friedrich Ludwig Sckell gestaltete den englischen Landschaftsgarten, der in geplanter Natürlichkeit den großen Weiher und die geschwungenen Kanäle umgibt.
Schloss Schwetzingen Germany

Bath house
From 1768 till 1777 the bath house was built by Nicolas de Pigage. It was used as private refuge by Kurfürst Karl Theodor. The bath house is a small pleasure house designed like an Italian villa and contains an office, a Chinese tea room, a bedroom and a bath room. Next to the building are the small Bath house kitchen and the open air theater. At the back of the pleasure house is the bath house garden which contains the fountain of the water spitting birds.

Badhaus
In der Zeit von 1768 bis 1777 wurde das Badhaus von Nicolas de Pigage gebaut. Es diente Kurfürst Karl Theodor als privates Refugium. Das Badhaus ist ein kleines Lusthaus im Stil einer italienischen Villa und verfügt über ein Arbeitszimmer, ein chinesisches Teezimmer, ein Schlafzimmer und ein Badezimmer. In direkter Nähe sind die kleine Badhaus-Küche und das Freilufttheater. Auf der Rückseite des Lusthauses befindet sich der Badhaus Garten mit dem Brunnen der wasserspeienden Vögel.
Schloss Schwetzingen Germany

Broderiepaterre
Baroque form elements and figures are composed by ornamental lawns, borders of flowers, water fountains and after 'are Topiaria' cut small box trees. Strewed with colored gravels the surfaces look like fine embroideries. This elements and figures are the highlight in each baroque garden.

Barocke Formelemente und Figuren werden mittels ornamentalen Rasenflächen, Blumenrabatten, Wasserspielen und kleinen Buchsbäumchen, geschnitten nach 'are Topiaria', gebildet. Mit buntem Kies bestreut sehen die Oberflächen wie feine Stickereien aus. Diese Formelemente und Figuren sind der Höhepunkt in jedem barocken Garten.



Palace Bruchsal | Palace Gottesaue | Palace Karlsruhe | Palace Rastatt | Palace Favorite, Rastatt



Click My Wings To Send Email
Klick auf meine Fluegel und sende eine Mail

Phone (001) 313 885-0900

COPYRIGHT © GREAT LAKES AERIAL & LEGAL, D.Coles, 1980 ~ 2016
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED




Aerial Photography by: Don Coles, Aerialpics.com, Palace Schwetzingen, Germany, Research and Interpretation By Monika Turtschi